Thursday, March 7, 2013

Quick Gestures from the Imagination

For Wednesday, I didn't have a whole lot of time, and so I decided to work on some human gesture/stick sketches for a sort of child-sized character... in the end, I took one pose, enlarged it, and embellished it a bit with some rough colors.







When it comes to doing gestures from the imagination, I find that it's still a lot more tedious than sketching from reference. I suppose that ought to be obvious, but it can be frustrating when a single gesture takes several, several minutes, whereas when I practice drawing from photo reference, I can crank out a gesture once per minute.

One thing I want to start doing to help improve my ability to imagine the body in different poses is to load up my favorite gesture sketching Website (it's like a slideshow of photos of the human figure) and then instead of repeatedly looking at a pose, I'll look at it for 5-10 seconds, and try to commit it to memory. Then I'll sketch it quickly and compare to the reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment